The vision of the Sasol Inzalo Foundation is to be a significant contributor to sustainable economic growth in South Africa by focusing on skills development (primarily in engineering and science), through inter alia providing bursaries for needy students to attend tertiary level education.
The Sasol Inzalo Foundation, in partnership with Studietrust, is offering bursaries to students who aim to study full-time towards an undergraduate university B or BSc degree in Engineering (all specializations) or a BSc in the natural sciences (all specializations). Prospective or current BSc Mathematics and/or Natural Science students who intend doing a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGSE) after completing their degree may also apply.
The main criteria for the selection of applicants are academic potential and financial need.
Applications are open to:
• South African citizens currently in Grade 12 who obtained the following minimum results in the June examination:
o 70% for Mathematics (not Maths Literacy)
o 65% for Physical Science
o 60% for English Home Language or 65% for English First Additional Language
o 60% in all other subjects.
• South African citizens currently in their first year of study who obtained an average of 70% in their June examinations.
• South African citizens with an NSC with degree endorsement and results conforming to the above minimum criteria.
• South African citizens with matric exemption with a minimum symbol “B” in Maths HG, a symbol “C” in Physical Science HG and a symbol “C” in English Second Language HG.
Bursary amount: The allocated amount will cover tuition, accommodation, books and other study-related costs.
Main selection criteria: academic merit and financial need.
When selected, bursars will be required to participate in a support programme and a research project.
Instructions for submission of application forms
Applications will only be considered if completed in full and if all the supporting documents have been included and signed by the applicant. Documents that accompany the application form must be certified:
1. A copy of your mid-year/June examination results. If you are not studying this year, send a copy of your latest exam results, together with an explanation of what you are doing this year. This is essential as the exam results play an important role in the selection process.
2. Matric/NSC results: If you have already completed matric/NSC, include your results, together with your latest tertiary (June) results. This is compulsory for all tertiary students.
3. Two testimonials: One testimonial from a responsible educational official, e. g. your principal or lecturer and the other by a community, political or spiritual leader. Use the testimonial forms in the application form or attach suitable testimonials.
4. Write an essay on your life on the page included. Use additional pages if necessary. This must be written by you. Your parent, guardian or friend may write a letter of recommendation.
5. Proof of salaries* of parent(s), guardian or spouse (*e.g. payslip, letter from employer, sworn statement or tax return statement).
6. A copy of your South African ID.
When completing the application form, please clearly specify the exact degree programme for which you need a bursary, the name of the educational institution where you plan to study and the year of study.
Changing your degree programme after submitting your application form may lead to a cancellation of the bursary, if granted.
No bursaries are available for private tertiary institutions.
Applicants could either complete the online application form or request a hardcopy application form to be sent by e-mail or surface mail.
· For applying online, please follow this link. Indicate in the relevant space that you are applying for a Sasol Inzalo Foundation bursary.
· For receiving an application form by e-mail, please request one in one of two ways:
o sms the word INZALO and your surname, initials and e-mail address to 31022. Standard rates apply.
o download an application form from the Studietrust website.
· For requesting a hardcopy application form to be sent to you by surface mail, you may select any of the following methods:
o sms the word INZALO and your surname, initials, postal address and postal code to 31022. Standard rates apply.
o send a letter with your surname, initials, postal address and postal code to: The National Director, Studietrust, PO Box 29192, Melville, 2109.
· The closing date for requesting an application form is 31 August.
· The closing date for submitting your completed application form with all supporting documents is 30 September. This deadline applies to all modes of application.
Acknowledgement of receipt
Studietrus (Sasol Inzalo’s bursary administrator) receives thousands of application forms each year and it is therefore not possible for us to acknowledge receipt of all completed forms. All applications will be considered and selection will take place from September to December. All applicants will be notified of the outcome not later than 31 December.