Sun International established the Sun International Community Development Trust to fund the implimentation of the group’s corporate social investment strategy, which remains focused on expenditure in the areas of education, health, welfare and cultural activities.
The Sun International Bursary Programme administered by Studietrust grants bursaries to students in areas of studies relevant to the hospitality and leisure industry:
• Food & Beverage Studies
• Hospitality Studies (at all levels and in all areas of specialization)
• Hotel Management
• Human Resource Management
• Sport and Recreation Studies
• Marketing and Sales
• Information Technology
• Management Studies
• Finance (Accounting)
• Electrical Engineering (light current) (at FETC level)
• Plumbing (at FETC level).
Who may apply:
South African citizens interested in studies at South African Universities, Universities of Technology and FET Colleges for degree, diploma and certificate programmes in the above fields of study.
Preference is given to:
Bursary amount: R15 000 – R40 000 (max) p.a.
Main selection criteria: Academic merit and financial need.
Instructions for submission of application forms
Applications will only be considered if completed in full and if all the supporting documents have been included and signed by the applicant. Documents that accompany the application form must be certified:
1. A copy of your mid-year/June examination results. If you are not studying this year, send a copy of your latest exam results, together with an explanation of what you are doing this year. This is essential as the exam results play an important role in the selection process.
2. Matric/NSC results: If you have already completed matric/NSC, include your results, together with your latest tertiary (June) results. This is compulsory for all tertiary students.
3. Two testimonials: One testimonial from a responsible educational official, e. g. your principal or lecturer and the other by a community, political or spiritual leader. Use the testimonial forms in the application form or attach suitable testimonials.
4. Write an essay on your life on the page included. Use additional pages if necessary. This must be written by you. Your parent, guardian or friend may write a letter of recommendation.
5. Proof of salaries* of parent(s), guardian or spouse (*e.g. payslip, letter from employer, sworn statement or tax return statement).
6. A copy of your South African ID.
When completing the application form, please clearly specify the exact study programme for which you need a bursary, the name of the educational institution where you plan to study and the year of study.
Changing your study programme after submitting your application form may lead to a cancellation of the bursary, if granted.
No bursaries are available for private tertiary institutions.
Applicants could either complete the online application form or request a hardcopy application form to be sent by e-mail or surface mail.
· For applying online, please follow this link. Indicate in the relevant space that you are applying for a Sun International bursary.
· For receiving an application form by e-mail, please request one in one of two ways:
o sms the word STUDY and your surname, initials and e-mail address to 31022. Standard rates apply.
o download an application form from the Studietrust website .
· For requesting a hardcopy application form to be sent to you by surface mail, you may select any of the following methods:
o sms the word STUDY and your surname, initials, postal address and postal code to 31022. Standard rates apply.
o send a letter with your surname, initials, postal address and postal code to: The National Director, Studietrust, PO Box 29192, Melville, 2109.
· The closing date for requesting an application form is 31 August.
· The closing date for submitting your completed application form with all supporting documents is 30 September. This deadline applies to all modes of application.
Acknowledgement of receipt
Studietrust (Sun International’s bursary administrator) receives thousands of application forms each year and it is therefore not possible for us to acknowledge receipt of all completed forms. All applications will be considered and selection will take place from September to December. All applicants will be notified of the outcome not later than 31 December.